Saturday 1 September 2012

Aussie: Being Iconic

People always get an impression and knowledge of the culture through the national icon. On the website of the Australian Foreign and Affairs Department (http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/national_icons.html); it lists the following Australian icons:
  • Uluru and the Sydney Opera House 
  • Meat pies, lamingtons and vegemite 
  • A horse called Phar Lap and a hat called Akubra 
  • Kangaroos and koalas 
What is your thought of Australian Icons? Is it same as above?

Since my first trip in Aussie land in 2003, then I studied, worked and lived in Australia; come and go, all together, I have literary been staying in here nearly 2.5 years. I’m still not 100% well knowing lots of things here, but getting better to appreciate the country and culture. During my journey to learn Aussie, I have experienced some Australian unique icons with my own ideas.

G’day mate!

The first icon I experienced was the Aussie slang.

“G’day mate.” A stranger started to talk with me in the park. It took me 3 seconds been silent, and then replied “sorry, what do you want?” The stranger left me with a strange blink at the park. Later on I realized it’s a typical Aussie slang for greeting. OMG! How could I miss this one?!

If you’re born in here, how many times you say it everyday? If you’re expatriates, have you started to say it? 


*More information about Aussie slang could reference there links:
http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html#E
http://www.aussie-info.com/identity/language/


A Happy little Vegemite

I’m not talking about Mr. Rudd here; I do mean the happy little vegemite.


When I tasted the vegemite at first time in 2007, it wasn’t pleasant at all. I couldn’t understand how my friend could stand it. But you know what; I have my vegemite toast almost for every single breakfast. I was ever searching vegemite when I lived in the Middle East. For someone still haven’t loved the vegemite, here are some recipe could make you be addicted the yummy tasty.
1) Egg and Vegemite Soldiers (Classic!!)
- Buttering the toast with one lay of vegemite (Better don’t put too much on the toast, if it’s 1st time you try vegemite)
- Sliding the toast as finger size
- Deep in the egg yolk.
 
2) Salmon and Spinach Patties
-Ingredients
500 g salmon fillets, skinned and chopped into 1/2-1 cm pieces
100 g baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
3 spring onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon grated root ginger
1 tablespoon VEGEMITE
1 egg white
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1 teaspoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon VEGEMITE, extra
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 continental cucumber
1/4 small red onion, finely sliced
1 tablespoon oil
4 bread rolls, split in half
- Method
PLACE the salmon, spinach, onions and ginger in a bowl and mix to combine. Beat together the VEGEMITE and egg white then stir into the salmon mixture to help bind. Divide into 12 and gently shape into patties. Chill.
WHISK together the vinegar, sugar, extra VEGEMITE and sesame oil. Use a peeler to cut the cucumber into long ribbons. Toss cucumber and red onion in dressing.
HEAT the oil in a frypan and cook patties for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked. Place on serving plates with cucumber salad and rolls. Serve immediately.
 
For more vegemite recipes: http://www.vegemite.com.au/Pages/breakfast-recipes.aspx

However, I found a naughty vision of Mr. ‘Rude’ vegemite video to share:



BBQ
BBQ for weekend gathering, BBQ for birthday party, BBQ for National Day…The BBQ I had here are ever more than the BBQ I had in last 30 years back home. 

The key elements of Aussie BBQ are steaks, sausages and beers; in parks, someone’s back yard; the most important is FUN! 

To someone who isn’t born in Australian, could you share your feeling about BBQ party here?




**Australian Geographic's 100 Aussie icons
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/australian-gographics-100-aussie-icons.htm


9 comments:

  1. Hello Annie,

    great blog. I really enjoyed it!

    especially the Kevin O7 tirade :)

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Terry.

    Yes, I like the video of Kevin as well. As I mentioned in my blog, my opinion of Vegemite was from dislike to favor; so I found confused by the description of Kevin as "A little happy Vegemite" from the local news report.Then I found the old commercial video of Vegemite as well as the angry tape of Kevin.

    However, I'm very happy to had this research, which gives me a chance to learn the sense of humor of Aussie. Of course, how special of Vegemite to Aussie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie
    What a great idea for a blog - and so needed!

    One of my favourite stories is that of a German housemate who on the day of moving in rang her hotel to say that she had lost her thong and would they mind looking for it. Ofcourse shet meant flip flop shoes (thongs) not G string (skimpy underwear known as a thong).

    A couple of other Australianisms i like are:
    You resent people who succeed over others- everyone should do the same thing, so we all get a "fair go"; a kind of 'American-dream' in reverse. This is why we actively like not liking Americans.

    You place 'bloody' in front of any word when you REALLY mean it.

    You say 'no worries' quite often, whether you realise it or not.


    You know that backyard cricket is a nice way to bond with family and the rubbish bin. And the 'one bounce, one hand' rule always applies.

    You see people walking bare-foot on the sidewalk and don't scorn.... because you're doing it too.

    You know how to slip, slop, slap like it's nobody's business.
    You've bitten off the diagonally opposite corners of a tim tam and drunk coffee through it - know as a tim tam slam

    Couple of things you might want to consider: Putting posts into a spell checker (ie overseas in the header is spelled oversea), adding a more interesting page background image and some more widgets in the right hand sidebar (not sure how to do this in blogger but should be easy - ask Google).

    Cheers for the entertaining post.

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a valuable lessons for me,Ash.
      In fact, I haven't known about backyard cricket culture here, I guess I need visit my Aussie friends' family more often. For the scorn, ever my mum (a super traditional Chinese lady) has been getting used to the style while we lived in Cairns for 5 months. hahaha!!

      Annie

      Delete
  4. Hi Annie,

    Thanks for your insights into Australian culture, from the point of view of new Aussies.
    I think us Aussies take for granted that new arrivals and tourist understand our unique slang. Its odd when you first cross paths with words that dont exist in the dictionary and are not proper English.

    Vegemite is a wonderful acquired taste! I think most Aussies force feed it to new Australians just to see their reaction. I can imagine that if you did not grow up taking a vegemite sandwhich to school everyday, you may take a while, if ever to savior the taste of vegemite!


    cheers, kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Kim.

      I guess I have getting used to the Aussie slang, not all of them; but 'no worries', i'm getting there. hahaha!! The unique is the essential of the culture to attract people, let's keep them!

      Annie

      Delete
  5. hi Annie,

    you are a true blue Aussie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interneting Blog, especially the Salmon and Spinach Patties. Really wanna to try to make it,haha !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Annie,

    Amazing blog.

    In regards to Australian Slang - I also found these resources useful before my visit "downunder"

    https://australiainfo.com.au/slang/
    https://australiainfo.com.au/language/
    https://australiainfo.com.au/wp_quiz/australian-slang-quiz/

    ReplyDelete